Sunday 16 August 2009

On the hunt....

For Kosher-style dill pickles!!! You simply cannot get the savoury/spicey flavor that is a kosher dill in the UK. This has caused me an abundance of greif and heartache over the past nearly 4 years of living here. After trying many a pickled cucumber here, which ALWAYS turn out sweet even if they specifically state AMERICAN STYLE SPICY PICKLE, I've decided to take matters into my own hands.

After all, it's too expensive to get friends and family to regularly send me the crispy spears which I adore so much, and it's not an option to bring back enough jars to last me until my next trip every time I return to the states. So, I've decided to make my own.

I bought a large glass jar (previously used by my boyfriend for pickled eggs-gross), and went a googling. This is the recipe I decided to try out:-


8 pounds 3 to 4 inch long pickling cucumbers
4 cups white vinegar
12 cups water
2/3 cup pickling salt
16 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
8 sprigs fresh dill weed
8 heads fresh dill weed


Wash cucumbers, and place in the sink with cold water and lots of ice cubes. (NB: I didn't do this, as I didn't have the patience and couldn't be bothered. It's meant to keep the pickles crispy, so I suspect that this will be a complaint of mine when I get to finally taste the pickles. Meh, live and learn)

Soak in ice water for at least 2 hours but no more than 8 hours. Refresh ice as required.

Sterilize 8 (1 quart ) canning jars and lids in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. (NB: I used my large jar with an air-tight seal, so omitted this step. Had I not, it would be a very important step)

In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine the vinegar, water, and coarse salt. Bring the brine to a rapid boil. (I boiled water in a kettle, and added the other ingredients to a jar full of cucumbers instead)

In each jar, place 2 half-cloves of garlic (I used about 2 tablespoons of minced "fridge garlic"- I like mine with a lot of garlic!), one head of dill (I didn't have this, so I just used lots of dried dill), then enough cucumbers to fill the jar (about 1 pound). Then add 2 more garlic halves, and 1 sprig of dill. Fill jars with hot brine. I also chucked in one chopped jalepeno for extra zing (with seeds) and some black peppercorns..

Seal jars, making sure you have cleaned the jar's rims of any residue. Process sealed jars in a boiling water bath. Process quart jars for 15 minutes. Store pickles for a minimum of 8 weeks before eating. Refrigerate after opening. Pickles will keep for up to 2 years if stored in a cool dry place.

Obviously, I haven't tried them yet, but they smell pretty dang good. I'll keep you posted in the upcoming weeks. I have a feeling I won't be able to wait the full 8 weeks before trying them...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment