Tuesday 11 August 2009

Crock Pot Chicken Cassarole!!

So, I got this new slow cooker just after Christmas and I LOVE it!! However, I usually only make a few things in it- Beef Stew, Chicken Soup, or Chili.

I had some bone in chicken pieces this weekend so decided to try this bad boy out:-

*Chicken:- thighs, legs, etc. (however many you want, I used about 6-8 pieces)
*Potatoes:- about 3 big-ish ones, cut into chunks
* 3 small red onions, cut into chunks
* 3 carrotts, cut into chunks
* Chicken stock ( I used approx. 1 tblspn powder, or approx. 1 stock cube)
* 1/3-1/2 bottle white wine (I used pino grigio, but only because I've only got dry white in stock)
*2 Tblspn strong yellow mustard (I used english mustard)
*2 cloves minced Garlic
*herbs to taste (I used thyme & provencial herbs, approx 1/2 tablespoon each)

Remove the skin from the chicken (this isn't entirely necessary, but it prevents the cassarole from havng extra fat). Then brown in a pan with the red onion and the garlic.

If using a stock cube, dissolve it in your 2 cups of (boiling) water. If using liquid stock or powdered stock, I don't think this is necessary.

Chuck ingrediants into your slow cooker. I put the potatoes and carrots on the bottom because I read somewhere that putting meat on the bottom can cause it to burn a bit. Otherwise, throw everything in together (herbs, mustard, chicken, veg., stock, water, wine, etc.).

My slow cooker only has 2 settings, High or Low. I cooked on High for 2 hours, and then turned it down to low for about 4-5 more hours. If you're working or out during the day, chuck it on low or medium for the whole day.

This had a lot of juice for me, so I ended up using a ladel to get a bit out. I made some couscous wth the extra stock/juices from the slow cooker, along with another chopped red onion and some herbs. I cooked this in the oven for 30 minutes (not necessary for the couscous as the liquid cooks it, but it gives is a better texture- nice and moist and a little crispy, with the onions cooking nicely in it).

I served the couscous as a base for the chicken cassarole and had a simple salad on the side. This is super easy and yummy to do for dinner, and I have most of the ingredients in the kitchen all the time.

Enjoy!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment